Filed under: Thursday Thirteen
Thirteen Old Wives Tales
1. If your ear is burning, then someone is talking about you. To determine whether what they are saying is good or bad, remember this rhyme, – Left for love, Right for spite!
2. A cat sneezing is a good omen for everyone who hears it.
3. If the palm of your right hand is itchy, then it foretells that money is coming to you, but don’t scratch it as that stops the money from coming! If it’s your left palm that is itchy, then scratch away, as that means that you’ll soon be paying out money
4. See a penny, pick it up; all day long you’ll have good luck.
5. If the head of a bed is placed towards the north it foretells a short life, towards the south a long life, the east riches, the west travel.
6. Cows lifting their tails is a sure sign that rain is coming.
7. If your nose itches, someone is coming to see you. If it’s the right nostril, the visitor will be a female, left nostril, male.
8. If you leave a rocking chair rocking when empty, it invites evil spirits to come into your house to sit in the rocking chair.
9. Place a hand in front of your mouth when sneezing. Your soul may escape otherwise.
10. The days of the week on which it is considered most lucky for women to make any important decision or to undertake any great tasks are Tuesday and Friday. For men the fortunate days are Monday and Thursday.
11. If you do not present a new pair of shoes to a poor person at least once during your life, you will go barefoot in the next world.
12. Women should not whistle, for it encourages evil spirits to visit them.
13. To stop cramps, carry certain animal bones on your body. Another cure is to lay your shoes on your stomach, across the cramp.
Please leave your TT in the comment section.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
11 Comments so far
Leave a comment