Filed under: Thursday Thirteen
*update – 9/29* – I’ve gone and done it. I signed up with bluehost.com. I’ve been itching to play and learn new things so we’ll see where this takes me….
Today I am asking for 13 pros and cons of using a paid site and which hosts you’d recommend or not:
1. Bev – I’ve never used a hosted site (well if you don’t count playing around with Blogger for awhile). I started out on the web learning HTML and so I’ve always had a virtual server.
2. Leanne – I’ve had my own domain for years. It’s mine. I like stuff, and it’s my stuff. I can do whatever I want with it, it’s got great page ranking in google, and it’s mine. Did I mention it’s mine?
I use http://blogs-about.com.
I do have a whole entry dedicated to starting up your own blog (more specifically, leaving blogger, but you can skip those parts), it’s in the sidebar on my blog if you want more info on the pros and con’s.
3. Jenny Ryan – I own my own domain name, and I love it. It is hosted by dreamhost, and as part of hosting your site with them you get the Word Press blogging software free, which I also love. It is VERY user-friendly for semi-ludites like me.
4. N. Mallory – I’ve owned the domain exit-23.net forever. It’s been great because no mater who my internet provider is I still get my email with no interruption. When I moved 1700 miles, I still got my email. I can set up 999 email accounts from very professional sounding to very silly and I still get it. I was able to set up accounts for my friends who were affected by Katrina so they could communincate with the world while they were displaced. I was also able to host a temporary website to support communication for katrina victims immediately after the hurricane.
As for hosts, I use http://asmallorange.com. I used to use lunarpages.com, but their service deteriorated over the last two years and they got too restrictive. I find that A Small Orange is fabulous as well as very inexpensive. Their customer service is extremely helpful as well as quick.
Filed under: blahblahblah
I used to make the time to crochet and cross stitch. Here is something I made for my little sister’s bridal shower 14 years ago.
Filed under: Thursday Thirteen
Thirteen Steven Wright quotes:
1. All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
2. The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
3. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
4. When everything is coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane.
5. I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
6. I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.
7. Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don’t have film.
8. Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.
9. What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
10. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
11. Eagles may soar, but weasels don’t get sucked into jet engines.
12. Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire.
13. Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Filed under: Way Back Wednesday
October 2001 – My daughter and Shiloh. We bought Shiloh from the auction. She must have been bottle fed because she was very friendly and still is to this day even after having 3 calves.
Filed under: farming
Yesterday morning as I was driving down my road to go to work I saw something that made me wish I’d had my camera in the car. A doe and her twin fawns were standing in our hay field surrounded by turkeys and their poults. It was a very interesting sight. Today the deer were on our bank and the turkeys were in the pasture.